Thursday, June 26, 2008

Large Landscape Paintings:James River Richmond, Virginia

Autumn Music on the James©2008 C.L.Burgess oil on linen 36 x 48"
Riverside Light©2008 C.L.Burgessoil on linen 24 x 36

These were fun to paint, as they are the biggest landscapes to date for me. Since I am practically the same size as the top image, it was a hoot for me hopping around and using my whole body instead of my arm to paint.

The images are of my river, our river, here in Richmond. While we travel all over to find good scenes to paint, artists usually benefit from recording the local beauty around them. I am blessed to live a block up from the river. I remember the day I was bathed in the light in the lower image. It has been gestating inside me for over two years. ...Waiting on me for the clarity and simplicity it needed. I wish I could paint more like this one. Abandon and surrender to the feeling comes after much study and often many failed attempts at creating just the right effect. I think I got it this time.


Post a Comment

Off the Rails : Abstraction

Preventing madness by making art. Abstraction serves this purpose well. Also preparing for another show in October. Part 2 of Grounded:...

Popular posts