Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Reverie-Self Portrait in Studio

Self Portrait©C.L.Burgess16 x 12 oil on linen nfs


Well, the one good thing about being an artist is when anxiety attacks you have an outlet.
I painted this from 12-4 am this morning.

Many titles came to mind as I finished it. Reverie seemed best, as I look dreamy. And, of course, my studio encourages it. I could have called it Flow, too. The garment suggests it. The shawl was borrowed for a short sweet time and I decided right then, as I tried it on, to make it into a painting some day. The soft, sensuous lines and warmth of the wool fabric enveloping me gave reason to dream. But flow has another context, coined by the noted psychologist, M. Csikszentmihalyi, about the state one is in when fully alive in the thing that absorbs which for the artist, is the act of painting. Time just isn't. I mean, really, it seemed like just a few minutes had transpired rather than several hours in the wee morning.
This is from an interview he did in Wired magazine:
Csíkszentmihályi described flow as "being completely involved in an activity for its own sake. The ego falls away. Time flies. Every action, movement, and thought follows inevitably from the previous one, like playing jazz. Your whole being is involved, and you're using your skills to the utmost."

I am pleased.

....and tired.


Post a Comment

Off the Rails : Abstraction

Preventing madness by making art. Abstraction serves this purpose well. Also preparing for another show in October. Part 2 of Grounded:...

Popular posts