Thursday, July 23, 2009

Male Portrait alla Prima: 'Rugged'




"Rugged"oil 16 x 20" ©2009 C.L.Burgess

Darren brought his tool belt and cowboy hat in yesterday for this sitting for our portrait group. He was a wonderful model. Never moved. I mean, really, we had to put mirror under his nose to see if he breathed..just kidding. But you know that is a rare and valuable model.

I could only get this much painted in 2 1/2 hours and will work on a larger portrait later on. I had fun with this painting; my smallest palette knife helped lay in some energetic strokes as if I was painting with pastels. I used the brush for the softer areas on the face. This is on canvas, which I can't wait to use all up, so I can return to linen. I hate wasting things, other wise I would get rid of it all.
This is still wet and was shot inside with full spectrum halogen light.Haven't seen it in daylight yet.
This will be one of the images I will show with the group in September at Pine Camp Arts Center in Richmond.

Will be painting in Easton, MD this weekend. My first "Quick Draw" event en plein air. More on Sunday night. Have a great weekend.
Post a Comment

Waterfall landscape in oil

                                     Little Falls ©2017 oil on wood 20 x 20 available This is one of 33 paintings in a one woman show I ...

Popular posts