Thursday, July 30, 2009

Richeson 75 Portrait/Figure Competition 2009: Selected!

"Dapper" oil on linen 16h x 12"w ©2009 C.L.Burgess

Richeson 75 Portrait/Figure Competition 2009
July 31 to Sept 25, 2009
Richeson School of Art & Gallery
Kimberly, WI


I am very pleased to announce that I have been selected for this competition. The image of Derick, called Dapper will be in the show, and online soon at Richeson 75. My other two entries, along with this one, will be published in the competition catalog. I have them on my website homepage .

Needless to say, I am still smiling about it. It is my first national level competition outside of VA. I feel quite honored to be among the other fabulous figure and portrait painters selected by the jurors. I am also thankful to the Richeson Co. for providing this opportunity for emerging artists.

I have known about this for a few weeks, but when I first got the notice in the mail, I couldn't read past the first line for about three days. Gave it to the hubby to sift through the details of 'what to do next' for me. Thank heavens for my partner, the level headed manager.

I feel good about this level of recognition. It had been one of my goals as I retired my high school art teaching career two years ago, so this was especially sweet to accomplish. I have only shared this with a few people up until today, because I guess, it is still hard for me to believe.

OK...enough Sally Field speech stuff.

Back to what makes me get up every day with anticipation...the smell of oil paints, the light in my studio and the labor of love at the easel.
And of course, sharing with family and friends online.

But can I still happy dance a bit?



Post a Comment

Off the Rails : Abstraction

Preventing madness by making art. Abstraction serves this purpose well. Also preparing for another show in October. Part 2 of Grounded:...

Popular posts