Saturday, August 08, 2009

Landscape in oil: Frisco Fog


Frisco Fog©2009 C.L.Burgess oil on gessoed Arches paper 4.5x11"

Never been to San Francisco except with Tony Bennett singing.
And since I, in fact listened to Tony( whose voice I like much more today than when he was younger), while looking at the photo from Karin Jurick's DSFDF challenge, I let the brush play loosely and used muted colors to suggest the fog that chills the air.

While painting, I also was thinking of Childe Hassam, who painted the streets of Manhattan in these muted tones, loose, choppy lines to illustrate his New York, my New York.
Since my foray into painting plein aire, I go back to the books to see how some of the painters, like Hassam and Twachtman depicted atmosphere rather than details, especially in busy places with all that noise and all those distractions, in Hassam's case, anyway. Perhaps those things are embodied in the flurry of strokes.

Great excuses, eh, not to hold myself to those pesky layers of buildings, straight lines or perfection? Impressionistic play.
Play feels good.

Post a Comment

Waterfall landscape in oil

                                     Little Falls ©2017 oil on wood 20 x 20 available This is one of 33 paintings in a one woman show I ...

Popular posts