Saturday, October 17, 2009

Croquembouche

Cream Puff©2009 C.L.Burgess oil on wood 8x8"

Once upon a time, when I was inclined to watch cooking shows, enjoyed the laughs of TV and wanted to impress my guests and colleagues, I tried to make to make cream puffs aka croquembouche in the style of dear, earnest Martha Stewart. (I confess to enjoy reading her cookbooks and her magazine stories about the exploits of her army of assistants,out in the woods, gathering her latest penchant for accouterments to that fine unblemished table she will adorn with her culinary accomplishments.)

Before her unfortunate incarceration, oh, about ten years ago, she actually had a scream of a show with guest Julia Child, who jolly enough, joined Martha in a cooking challenge right there, live on TV, to create a pyramid of cream puffs, excuse me, Martha, croquembouche, drizzled with spun sugar, for a holiday banquet. For some reason, I think Miss Piggy might have been there, too. If she wasn't, she should have been..Sorry,I digress.

Anyway, I really admired Julia after that bout. She was my kind of cook and person of a joy in the kitchen, to which I always aspire to be. Her tower of puffs seemed to implode at about the time they received the swirling sugar finish, contrasting with the stiff, impenetrable mountain by Martha. My friend and I by then were howling on the floor with laughter.....
The moral of this story, of course, is to love what we do enough to be able to laugh at our foibles on the way to that perfect creation and that perfection somehow falls a bit short at times, just is not as interesting or joyful as it is cracked up to be.

It is with that thought that I painted this rather, rich, calories couched in comforting chocolate, mound of mouth watering sweetness.
That was before I shared it with my husband. Poor guy, he kept asking me if it was a prop or a real treat for us for about two days!!! Tough cookie, this artist.

Out of perfection nothing can be made. Every process involves breaking something up. (Joseph Campbell)

Post a Comment

Waterfall landscape in oil

                                     Little Falls ©2017 oil on wood 20 x 20 sold This is one of 33 paintings in a one woman show I have ...

Popular posts