Monday, November 30, 2009

Antique Baby Shoe



"Antique"©2009 C.L.Burgess 9x12 oil on canvas

This is a second self portrait done from the trunk of '50's treasures.

Yes, a self portrait, through my babyhood comfortable walking shoes.
And I am brave enough to label it antique. OMG!!!
Quick, get that thing over to the Smithsonian. Put it right next to the metal changemaker for the busdrivers of old, in that window for all to see.

Well, I never claimed to be a fashion plate. Now or then. That doesn't mean I don't try.
In fact as recently as a few years ago, a coworker of mine intimated that he thought I "was a good looking woman, well dressed( the southern term 'cleaned up good', I think, he said) ....BUT... I needed major help with selecting my shoes, cause they were ugly". Truth in jest. But it is true.(maybe that is why I prefer to go barefoot whenever I can) or I could blame it on the fact that I had no good role models for my feet. Is there such a thing as poor foot esteem???

Which begs the question," where were the fashionista fairy godmothers when I was younger?!"
I mean, geesh, my 1 1/2 yr old grandaughter has the most delicious, itty bitty, brown leather maryjanes that cordinate perfectly with her clothes. Even daily painters have gotten a hold of a few elegant pairs to use.
Not me...I am still behind the times when it comes to footwear. I value comfort. I like to walk, not fall down.
However, unfashionable in look, less is more...they served me well, then and now...a bit worn and rough around the edges, loved still.
The truth, older now. Classical. Yes, that sounds much better.


Post a Comment

Asheville Gallery of Art Show, North Carolina

Grounded: Landscapes Real and Imagined I had the pleasure of speaking with visitors upon finishing with the hanging of my show yesterda...

Popular posts