Wednesday, July 14, 2010

A Rose is a Rose?


Three Roses©C.L.Burgess 12 x 9 oil on panel


An incomplete sketch superbly executed is power.(Richard Schmid)


While it is incomplete, I am not sure this is executed powerfully, but I gave it my best shot.
I bought some roses from Fresh Market and was disappointed because it is obvious they are not fresh. They are not opening like I am used to seeing a rose unfold and it is frustrating to paint these weird shapes. But then that is the challenge. When is a rose a rose? 
I like to experiment with supports and methods of painting. Direct painting suits me for certain subjects or moods. In this case, quickly fading flowers demanded immediate interpretation and completion. I looked to Mr. Schmid for encouragement to push ahead with the dismal trio.
Richard Schmid paints like no other.. I often go back again and again to his book Alla Prima for inspiration and advice. 
Post a Comment

Waterfall landscape in oil

                                     Little Falls ©2017 oil on wood 20 x 20 available This is one of 33 paintings in a one woman show I ...

Popular posts