Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lotus Flower Plein Air: Water Garden Painting by Virginia Fine Artist Cathyann Burgess

Open Season©2012 C.L.Burgess 6x8 oil on canvas panel
Gardening in a forest environment certainly brings its challenges. With every storm that threatens the Richmond area lately, I have come to fear the falling of the trees that remain in my yard. Not only can it bring untold harm but it also digs seriously into our retirement funds for the removal of these giant oaks. What other people spend on vacation we use to remove trees!
When we recovered from the destruction of Isabelle, nine years ago we installed a water feature with pumped water recycled and running over a meandering stream of stones into a pond that was to hold koi. The only joy from the koi was had from the raptors that came to eat them.
Giving up that idea to the birds, literally, I decided to stay with just foliage; my water iris and lilies. I love flowers. Especially low maintenance ones. The water lotus and iris truly do not mind algae ponds much...in fact I think they thrive in them.

This small work was done quickly with palette knife and brush. Alla prima garden style.
Post a Comment

Waterfall landscape in oil

                                     Little Falls ©2017 oil on wood 20 x 20 available This is one of 33 paintings in a one woman show I ...

Popular posts