Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Sailboat : plein air painting by Virginia Fine Artist Cathyann Burgess

On the Rocks©2012 C.L.Burgess 8x6 oil on canvas panel

I wish I can say that I painted more than this little image while up at the St Lawrence this summer, but I did not. Much too hot and I preferred to lie about on the pontoon boat soaking in the sun and sea breeze, while reading light murder mystery novels featuring art or art thievery as a theme(The Monet Murders was one), to kill the time and beat the forsaken heat wave that managed its way up to the north country. It was possibly hotter there than in Richmond!
However, I did manage to get a few good photos for reference of some boats, a  navy destroyer in tow and some marvelous pre and post storm clouds, and sunsets.

On a related note, I did get to see two very unique exhibits this summer at the Academy Art Museum in Easton, MD. One dealt with images of the sea by a contemporary artist, Matthew Hillier whose works included waterscapes and wildlife. I was especially tickled with his ability to paint sparkling light effects on water.
The other, also at the museum, was an inviting small collection of European works of 'the Hague school', Dutch painters influenced by the French Barbizon painters some of which were new to me. Waterscapes and boats here too, which pleased me along with some bucolic images of cows and fields. I think both shows run till this month's end, so if you can get to Easton, it is worth a visit.

till next time...happy painting and / or  vacation!


Post a Comment

Asheville Gallery of Art Show, North Carolina

Grounded: Landscapes Real and Imagined I had the pleasure of speaking with visitors upon finishing with the hanging of my show yesterda...

Popular posts