Saturday, February 01, 2014

"a frame up for sure" by Cathyann Burgess


Peonies©2014C.L.Burgess oil 10x10" gallery wrap canvas no frame needed!
available at  Stewart Gallery  beginning February 26th through March 29th



Ah, the joys of being an artist.
The roar of the sander, the smell of the turp. 
Screwballs,screwdrivers and screw eyes. Whatta mix!

After "being in the zone", harmonious  notes of color flowing with ease and grace, I find myself up to my elbows in lists, artist's statements, inventory charts, marketing initiatives, and the ultimate  finale:
framing the works.

I have to say that a great frame adds to the beauty of the painted or drawn image, but with tastes being as broad as they are, it is so hard for the artist to make the "right" choice to entice a buyer beyond that of the glorious work produced, so the best thing left is the plain jane of the presentation frame. 

So, that is where I am at this point in getting ready for my show in March. I have begun assembly  of some simple but classy frames I bought from ASW. It is the "costco" for artists. 
The 40 pieces of varying sizes are strewn gently about the floor of my studio, waiting to be photographed, framed, catalogued and boxed for delivery. 
I wish I could count the hours spent doing those mundane chores. But it is all part of the work. Hence the 'work' in creating art. This in addtion to the continuous studying of history, technique, experimenting with newer media and tools to articulate our most personal experience of living, that
which we gladly and tenderly share with the world. 

Someone has said a "most useless necessity"of the arts and philosophy.
But I couldn't live any other way.

The painting above will be available at the show. Dates are last week of February through the end of March at Stewart Gallery.
If you might like to party with the artist, the reception will be Thursday March 6, 2014 6-9
Post a Comment

Asheville Gallery of Art Show, North Carolina

Grounded: Landscapes Real and Imagined I had the pleasure of speaking with visitors upon finishing with the hanging of my show yesterda...

Popular posts