Tuesday, February 11, 2014

An Artist's Statement Sunday Morning by Cathyann Burgess

Sunday Morning ©2014 C.L.Burgess 12 x 12 


"If you could say it in words there would be no reason to paint" said Edward Hopper. 

If that is true then why must we insist on Artist's statements, I wonder.
I do have an interest in the person who creates the work, but it is the work that speaks eloquently or at least it should. I find most tedious, the ramblings of some artists and their long winded, convoluted and confusing statements when going to a show. Was this custom born with the Modern movement and Abstraction? I should do some research on it.

While I clearly find it somewhat redundant, I must still comply lest I give an snooty elitist and aloof impression to my audience, and I certainly do not want to do that. 

This is what I want to tell you. I can't not paint. How do I explain as I walk down a street or drive in a car and observe what is before me, that in my mind I am painting? 
I think about how I would describe the sky is in late afternoon as it illuminates the angles on an alley. Or, as I passed my window, I think about how that intense dash of vermilion popping out in the grayness of the trees in winter would convey the most handsome cardinal.

So this will be my statement: 
I am just fascinated with the colors, moods and sounds of my immediate environment.
The ordinary, quiet moments of daily living are often filled with common things that I find quite lovely; food, teapots, flowers, and birds. Raising this simple and abundant life to the sacred, which is evident to me, is what my painting is "about".  I want the viewer to breathe a sigh of joy or relief when viewing my work or living with it. I believe that this fast and often violent world needs more of the beautiful and this is what I offer: my sense of wonder at the beauty in each day that I live. I want to share the things that delight me with you. It is that simple.
Post a Comment

Ode to Spring:Cherry Blossoms

Spring.  Ahh how lovely  the cherry blossoms! new work at Art on 4th Ave NW Hendersonville, NC Spring 12x12 oil on panel ©201...

Popular posts