Friday, May 09, 2014

Thoughts on a painting: Buddies: A dog portrait commission by Cathyann Burgess

Commission completed: "Best Buds" oil on linen 16x20


Did I ever have fun doing this portrait! A surprise for the owner.

The challenge in this piece was working from photos I did not take. I looked at several and work out a sketch for approval. I then played with pastels to loosen up and think about color choices. I had a Yorkie once upon a time so the memory of that dog helped. And well, since I am Maltese, I guess there was some kinship with the white pup! LOL
here are the few thinking steps before working in oil on the finished piece: Of course, once I got started on the real thing, some other critical decisions were made to insure dimension and atmosphere. That is the fun part of painting.





Post a Comment

Ode to Spring:Cherry Blossoms

Spring.  Ahh how lovely  the cherry blossoms! new work at Art on 4th Ave NW Hendersonville, NC Spring 12x12 oil on panel ©201...

Popular posts