Thursday, September 15, 2016

Plein air with Asheville Urban Landscape Project Painters


A lovely morning was spent with lovely attentive artists at the UNC Botanical Gardens plein air demo in pastels I did for the Asheville Urban Landscape Painters. The day started out overcast but then the sun came out enough for all to have some light effects on their nature studies.
These are the images I created for the group: 
The B/W is the thumbnail at 6x6" showing the focus of my interest in the river rock formation I saw from the upper bank. 

The second image on the terra-cotta Uart sanded paper was done quickly after I did the 9x12 demo on sanded rives bfs printmaking paper. This showed the different ways that soft pastels interact with different supports or grounds.
I like how the camera captures the drawing quality of the somewhat abstract arrangement in the larger piece, first image above. The linear strokes finished off my study just the way I wanted. There is nothing like mother nature for inspiration and education in making choices, and 'seeing' the nuances a camera can't capture. A morning well spent! Thank you, Sue Dolamore for asking me to instruct the group!


River Rocks
©2016 C.L.Burgess
Post a Comment

Ode to Spring:Cherry Blossoms

Spring.  Ahh how lovely  the cherry blossoms! new work at Art on 4th Ave NW Hendersonville, NC Spring 12x12 oil on panel ©201...

Popular posts